Friday was a good day, even though we did not get to see our little guy (well, not live anyway, we looked at pictures and video because we could not go to the orphanage today). The weather was crystal clear, but pretty cool and breezy, around freezing in the morning, it may have warmed up to the lower 50’s in the afternoon. We spent a good part of the day out and about on Mira Street (the main street in town). We stopped into a couple children’s stores and Diana, a souvenir shop with local arts, crafts, and other items. We had lunch at Mama Roma’s...a great little Italian restaurant on Mira Street. We also stopped at the grocery store, where in addition to a few groceries, we picked up some Russian Standard Vodka. None of us are vodka fans, but this stuff is unbelievably smooth. You could easily sip it, and it mixed very well with what we think is cranberry juice (or maybe cowberry, we could not find either in our handy dandy translation book) or bitter lemon. We have to be careful though, if the Ruskies see us mixing such good vodka with juice, they may have us deported. We have started a little habit of having a drink and a few snacks around 5 before heading out for dinner at 6:30 or 7. The Russian beers we’ve tried have been pretty good, too, along with some German, Czech, and Belgian.
We also spent quite a bit of time out in the plaza, watching Marina chase the birds and little Russian boys. There were quite a few kids around. It’s always amazing to see that kids can play and have fun instantly – no language barriers.

Marina with her new little Russian friends :O)
Today we had kind of a lazy morning. Marina slept until nearly 10:00am. We just spent a few hours in the hotel until after lunch and then we went back outside to play. Two families picked up their children today, so we've had fun seeing them at the hotel and Marina has enjoyed having some new friends! Tonight I think we might walk back over to the German restaurant for dinner.
We continue to be amazed at the weather we are having. We're all wondering how much longer it will last! Oh well....we'll enjoy all the sunshine we can get!
Sending our love from Kras.... :O)




5 comments:
Oh, I'm so jealous! :) When we were in Kras it was 30 below zero and snow everywhere! We didn't see the sunshine either time we were there.
I'm glad to hear you are all enjoying your time there. I love reading your daily updates and seeing the great pics!
Blessings,
Brittany (cheekers)
The weather sounds very much like here. High 30s in the morning and upper 50s in the afternoon. And sunny for about 4 days in a row! Those pictures of Marina with the local children are priceless. Kristen can confirm that we experienced the immediate bonding between children of different languages when we took young Kristen and Stephanie to Mexico. We had dinner with a Mexican family and despite their lack of ability to communicate in either English or Spanish, they had a great time communicating in the universal language of giggles! In my mind I can see Marina doing the same with her new friends in Kras.
Sounds like you have fallen into a comfortable routine when no visits with Alexander are available. Hopefully, it will help the time pass quickly until the day you take him from the orphanage. We truly hope that Monday will bring another visit and that he continues to bond with his new mom & dad.
Maybe I'll have to try some Russian Standard Vodka. It sounds like it can be enjoyed in a number of different recipes. And if the Standard is that good, I'd love to try the premium ;)
We are enjoying our visit with Uncle Don & Aunt Pat in Ohio. Tonight we are celebrating Connie's and Pat's birthdays with dinner at Matt's restaurant. We'll have a toast to the newest family member also!!
Hugs, kisses and love to all,
Dad
Sounds like a good day. We have had a nice visit with C,C and G. We are going to Matt's restaurant for dinner. Enjoy your weekend. Love to all.
Pat and Gigi
Hey guys,
Not sure if I set this up right so hope that is going through.
It's great to see the pics and hear that you are all doing well. It's nice that this time of the year that you are getting good weather.
This is really a great idea using a blog sight...I never would have thought of it.
Well take care and we really can't wait to see the new and improved Froehlich family.
God's blessings,
Platzers
Hi Marina!
I love you Marina...I miss seeing you at church.I wish that I could see you at church.
How are you doing in Russia? How do you like your new brother in Russia?
Do you like the food in Russia? I like the pictures that your mom and dad sent...it's neat to see you playing in the park in Russia.
Love,
Ally
Post a Comment