We have been talking about her starting kindergarten now for quite a while, especially since the move. She has been so excited and has loved shopping for all of her new school supplies. She had a hard time falling asleep last night, giddy with anticipation knowing what was coming today! She finally fell asleep around 9:30pm.....nearly 2 hours after she went to bed! And she was up by 6:00 this morning! Too excited to sleep. I'm guessing the adrenaline from starting school today will keep her going through the day, but she will be a very tired little monkey by the time she gets home this afternoon.
Anyway, so at 6:00 this morning she bounds down the stairs, smile spread wide across her face, and announces that she would like to call grandma and grandpa to tell them that she is starting kindergarten today. Grandma and grandpa can thank me later that I was able to talk her into waiting until AFTER school to call so she could tell them all about her day! :O) She tried to get some breakfast into her tummy, but quickly decided that she was too excited to eat, all while talking constantly about her expectations for the day. After breakfast it was time to put on one of her new school outfits that she has been so excited to wear. With just the right outfit and shoes on, we came downstairs to finish packing her lunch for today.....Disney princess soup, an apple, a cheese stick, chocolate animal crackers and pink strawberry milk! And I threw in a piece of candy and a sticker for a little surprise! We then packed up her backpack and got in the car.
Mike stayed home this morning so he could take Marina to school with me. I'm so glad he did...and so is Marina. Thanks, Daddy!!! We drove to school and as her heart leapt with excitement and anticipation, mine dropped to the bottom of my stomach. She can't possibly be big enough and old enough for school! We went into school with her this morning, walked to her classroom with her and made sure she got settled in. And it was then, with a big smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye, that we said our goodbyes and I walked out of her classroom with tears in my eyes.
I know that right now she is sitting in her classroom, meeting new friends, playing with new toys, learning new things and loving being at school. She is ready for this. In fact, she is just going to soar. And I suppose that my job as her mom is to make sure that she grows wings that are big and strong.....so that they can carry her through her lifetime.
For now, I am going to enjoy this special time that I have with Alexander. And I promise you that at 3:09 this afternoon when Marina gets off that bus, I will be the one giddy with anticipation that my little princess will be HOME from her first day of kindergarten!
Here are a few pictures from this morning:
Getting right into the swing of things in her new classroom
And a few pictures from yesterday at "Meet your teacher day".....


I'll try to post again later....hopefully with a picture of Marina getting off the bus and stories about everything she did today at school! Oh, and a little bit about her class: her teacher is Ms. Kelli and their parapro is Ms. Dana. There are 18 students in her class with 2 full-time teachers.








1 comment:
Oh Kristen,
This post has my eyes filled with tears! So bitter sweet!! You articulated the feeling so very well here! I've had this experience 3 times now and will experience it with Isaac one final time in just a few short weeks.....sigh! I have honestly been dreading it for a good six months! As you said though, it's the goal of parenting....to watch them soar. Soar on sweet Marina!! I know your Mama is so very proud of you!
Post a Comment