Wednesday, May 10, 2006

One more day...

Just one more day until we board that Kras Air plane and head West!!! Unfortunately, we will only make it 4 ½ hours West until we land in Moscow, but at least we’ll be getting closer to home! Although, as anxious as we are to get home, leaving Krasnoyarsk is bittersweet for me. We have really enjoyed our trip and having the opportunity to learn more about the culture our kids were born in to. We have also made some great friends that we will truly miss not seeing every day! As we were shopping for souvenirs and gifts the other day I was very emotional thinking that it may be a very long time before we get back to this city, if even at all. I know my children will be in a much better place, but it still hurts deep inside. Silly, I know….but true.
Alexander playing with his friend, Riley Kate.

We celebrated Victory Day with the Russians on Tuesday. It was pretty much an all day celebration in the plaza outside the hotel. They set up a large stage at the bottom of the steps along the river, and had live music and dancing there most of the day. It seemed to quiet down in the late afternoon. They had more vendors set up along the streets today as well. There was a parade in the morning that we didn’t go to, but some of our friends did and said it was really interesting. The whole focus of Victory Day is on the veterans. There was also a fantastic fireworks display around 10:45 last night. It was the best show I've ever seen! We were able to watch from the lounge on the floor of our hotel.

Joining in the Victory Day celebration!

Marina waving her Russian flags!

Today is filled with packing. It’s not going to be easy getting everything packed up again. 3 weeks in one hotel is a long time, and stuff gets really disorganized after so long. I’m hoping to come home a lot lighter than we came, but with our purchases here, I’m not sure that will happen, even though we did leave a suitcase and duffle bag at the orphanage! I don’t think I mentioned it before, but on our way over from Moscow to Kras, we were 107kg over the limit with our luggage, which equaled about $300 in overweight charges! Ooops! Tonight we are planning to go out to dinner with all of the other American families that are at the hotel. We will all gather at the German restaurant across from the hotel for one big celebration dinner! There will be 15 of us there! We picked up Alexander's passport this morning and we have our airline tickets, so we are ready! We will leave the hotel around 6:30am tomorrow for a 9:00am flight. We are due to arrive in Moscow around 9:30am (with the time difference!)

We thought it might be fun to pass along some information about Alexander, for those of you that have asked. He is between 31-32 inches long now and probably still weighs about 22 pounds, similar to the measurements we received in January. The size clothes that fit him best right now are 12-18 months, and he is wearing a size 4-5 shoe. He is not potty trained, although he does use the potty occasionally and has had some success on the little chair we bought for him. He is rewarded with an M&M each time he goes! He isn’t liking his bath much better yet, but the volume of his yelling seems to lessen with each one! He can scowl like no other, but it is usually quickly followed up with one of his adorable toothy smiles that makes his nose wrinkle! He also seems to have the high pain tolerance like his sister. He said Mama today, which melted my heart. He also knows uh-oh! Oh, how we can’t wait for all of you to meet him! :O)

Bath time just isn't one of his favorites!

Well, da svidaniya from Krasnoyarsk! Next time we post we will be in the Marriott hotel in Moscow, which might feel like the closest thing to heaven on earth after being in Kras for 3 weeks! I know I mention this every time, but truly cannot express how thankful we are that you have joined us (vicariously) on this journey! We appreciate every single prayer on our behalf and ask for a few more for our upcoming travels.

Much love from our family to you.....we'll see you soon! :O)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike and Kristen wrote on the blog that they really appreciated Grandma and Grandpa coming along on this adventure, but we have to point out that we are the lucky ones to able to share this special occasion and events with them. It has been a vacation like no other that we have experienced. We are truly appreciative to them for asking us to be a part of it. Our thanks will never express our true feelings for being able to do this. Grandpa and Grandma will miss playing "shark" and Candyland with Marina, and seeing Alexander warming up to us. Thank you, Mike and Kristen.

Grandma and Grandpa F.

Anonymous said...

God bless all of you and we pray for a safe journey. Can't wait for all of you to be back in the USA with us. Love and kisses to all. The days will be boring with no blog to read.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to hear you referring to "my children"! It sounds so natural for the Froehlich family. The bittersweet feelings are understandable, but the memories will last a lifetime, even after returning to the comfort of your home. Tomorrow you will be one step closer. Still no luck with Delta on flight upgrades, but I'll continue to check a couple of times a day.

I had hoped that we would keep our wonderful weather for your return. It was in the low-mid 70s yesterday with lots of sun. I took a Cobra ride to Livonia to pick up a new flagpole and truly enjoyed the trip. Now the rain is moving in and is expected to stay through the weekend. Of course, the meteorologists have been wrong before.....

We're so glad that you are finally beginning your journey home. All the best for safe and on-time travels to Moscow. I hope that Alexander likes airplanes as much as his big sister! Big hugs and kisses to both from Grandpa!

Love to all,

Dad

PS: To Grandpa & Grandma F., if you've been playing "shark" alot with Marina, you should come back a few pounds lighter. That's a tough game ;)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are finally at the packing stage. We are praying for safe flights for your journey back home. Although it is slightly sad leaving, you will have memories that will last a lifetime and will be able to share them with your children. God's blessings to all of you on your trip back to the states!

Scott & Kathy Y.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I cannot wait now, it seems like we are so close. I pray for safe travels, and good a flight for all of you to Moscow. I sure hope Alexander is a good flyer!!! I am sure Marina can show him the ropes!!!!
I can imagine it is tough leaving, but also such a blessing, with things that many will never get the opportunity to experience. You have all the memories!
You will be settling in for the night and waking up to head to the airport. After that I think the time will fly until you are home. Speaking of coming home, I cannot wait to see you all have you back home!!!! Those pictures just make you fall more in love with Alexander, everyone I see!!!


Travel safe!

Love you all,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Praying for safe travels! Totally understand the bittersweet feelings of leaving. Had the exact same feelings when leaving China. You have cherished memories to hang on to and share with the kids as they grow. And, hopefully one day you will be able to return. I'm really looking forward to meeting your beautiful boy! God Bless!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Friends,
Thanks for you last posting in Kras! I can see how you would feel bitter sweet! I agree with your dad when he commented on you saying "my children" I like the way that sounds. You and Mike are already great parents to Marina and Alexander seems to just be fitting in like he has been there all along. I wish you luck as you travel, hopefully Alexander will be OK. Can't wait to hear how it went.
Good luck with the packing! Sorry to hear that you were over on the way to Russia. Hopefully after leaving the 2 gift bags in Russia, you'll be fine.
I look forward to hearing from you in Moscow! Just think...probably better beds to sleep in, DIFFERENT food, perhaps hotter water, and of course just different things to look at.
BIG hugs your way!
Love,
Amy

Anonymous said...

What a great account of your journey to bring Alexander into your family! It's been exciting to read and imagine how that must feel. We'll look forward to the conclusion of the story ... which is really just the beginning!

- Linda and Leo

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see your little boy in person. He is just precious. The words you use to describe the pictures we all can see are just perfect.
'Teethy smile that lights up a room' sounds just about right to me :0)

I hope you have a very safe trip home this week and enjoy your time in Moscow. I know that you are all very anxious to return to your own beds, kitchens, and family rooms. I can't wait to see you soon - you are in my thoughts as you begin your safe journey home.

Love,
kelly

Anonymous said...

It has been great following your travels. Dan and I pray for your safe travel home. Looking forward to meeting Alexander and seeing you all.

Love,
Linda F.

Anonymous said...

As I'm writing this, if the flight is on time, you're in the air between Kras and Moscow. Safe travels! I hope that Alexander is feeling better so that he might enjoy his first airplane ride. It makes me feel good knowing that you're taking the first step to returning home with Alexander and all the memories you will be bringing with you.

Once again give Marina and Alexander hugs and kisses from Grandma M. and tell them "Love you, love you, love you". XOXO

Love to all,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Marina-
I'm sure that you liked your airplane ride today. You're quite the world traveller. Did Alexander like the ride as much as you did?

Grandma misses you and will see you at the airport in two days!
Love you, Love you, Love you-
Grandma M.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the new Froehlich Family. Alexander looks like a joy and we can't wait to meet him. I am sure that Wyatt will love another little person his size to play with! Just wanted to let you know that we are thinking of you and praying for safe travels. Congratulations again!

Mark, Lisa and Wyatt