Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Finally....a family of 4!

Marina wearing her "I'm the big sister" t-shirt before going to the orphanage.

What an amazing day!!! We could not have imagined today going any better than it did! We left for the orphanage at 8:30 this morning and were able to spend nearly 3 hours with Alexander. Marina really enjoyed meeting her little brother and he really enjoyed watching her play. He was very intrigued with what she was doing and I think they are really going to enjoy playing together! We were in the therapy room today, so Marina loved playing in the ball pit and with the other toys in that room. There were 2 other families meeting their children in the music room, so it was nice to have the other room all to ourselves! I can’t tell you how incredible it was to have both of our children in one room! Alexander still has a nasty upper respiratory infection. He wasn’t quite as happy today as he has been on our last 2 visits, but we still got to see quite a few smiles and some giggles. He ended up falling asleep for about 10 minutes, but woke up just as happy as could be. Obviously all he needed was a little cat nap and he was ready to go! We get to go back to the orphanage on Friday for our last visit before picking him up on Saturday!


Our very first family photo! :O)

I'm not sure who enjoyed the ball pit the most!

One sleepy Alexander and one content Mommy!

Another wonderful part of our day was taking Marina back to her orphanage. We were able to show her to many (at least 30-40!) people and they all smiled at her and said very sweet comments! And if you know anything about Russian culture, smiling is not a common thing! :O) The same pediatrician was there as 2 years ago, so it was really neat seeing her again. One of the workers walked into the hallway carrying 8-10 photos that we had taken of Marina in January! It was very heart-warming to see how visibly appreciative these women were to be able to see Marina again! We were able to go upstairs to the room that Marina spent most of her time in. She seemed to recognize some items in that room, but didn’t get scared at all. There were probably 12-14 children in this room and they all stopped and stared when we walked in! Too cute! Marina wanted to play with all of them but we really didn’t have a lot of time. Just before leaving that room Marina’s main caregiver from 2 years ago walked right up to us with a sparkle in her eye! I could tell she just wanted to touch Marina, so I waved her closer to us. I asked Marina to give her a hug, which she was happy to do. The caregiver rubbed her hair and arm and then Marina blew her a kiss. It was a moment that I will never forget! So, with tears in our eyes the caregiver went back to work and we went downstairs and out the door. Absolutely incredible!

So, that was our day. One incredible moment followed by a second one! Again, we are amazed by God’s blessings! We asked John and Joyce to share their experience with you from their perspective, so please see below! Hugs and kisses from Krasnoyarsk!


From Grandpa and Grandma:
Today was the day that we have anxiously been awaiting. We finally got to meet our fourth grandchild in person. Although he wasn’t receptive to us getting too close or holding him, he also didn’t cry because we were in the room. It was fun seeing him and Marina interact and seeing Marina display great restraint when mommy was holding Alexander. It was very interesting to see the orphanage and to now better understand the background and surroundings that Marina and Alexander experienced during their early lives. By the looks and affections that the workers displayed for the children and especially when seeing Marina, it appears that they genuinely do care for the children and love them as their own. We are grateful to Mike and Kristen for arranging for us to visit with them. It truly adds to the total experience that we are experiencing on our Russian adventure. And although we couldn’t bring Alexander home with us today, we know it’s only three more days until he can join us permanently. Alex asked Grandpa to send hugs and kisses to all our friends and relatives, and he will see you all in a few days. XOXOXOXO

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! As much as we have all anticipated this day, the feelings of joy go well beyond those imagined. We're so pleased to see those first pictures of the four of you together and indescribably proud of how Marina has reacted to the experiences. Both in meeting Alexander and in reuniting with the caring people from her past. It seems the entire experience could not have gone any better. I've read and reread the pictures and your comments and can't get enough of the experience. With this milestone passed, you can now focus on Saturday and the initiation of your new family life together. Special thanks to Grandma and Grandpa for sharing in the experience and helping to document it for those of us who are only with you in spirit. We can't adequately tell you how comforting it is not only to have you there as support, but also to share in this experience. That's what family is all about!

This day will be long remembered with many smiles and a few tears. Enjoy this moment and anticipate that there are many more to come. Please drink a toast to the "new and improved" family for us tonight.

Love to all from here and special hugs and kisses to Marina from Grandpa. Be sure to tell her how proud Grandpa is that she is a Big Sister now and doing a great job of it!

Dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God! What a wonderful day and I loved the pictures of the four of you, it was a natural. Kisses to all. I'm glad I checked the blog from home as I would have had to explain the tears as happy ones. Love to all and thank John and Joyce for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, what a BEAUTIFUL FAMILY! I can't even imagine the joy that both of you felt when both of your children were in the same room. I pray that you are able to cherish that feeling for a lifetime! I find it totally amazing how much Marina and Alexander look alike! You all look PERFECT together and by the pictures, you all look very comfortable together. So glad to hear that Marina got to go visit those who took such good care of her the first part of her life. What comfort it must give you that there were such caring people who loved your children and took care of them before God brought them to you! Looking forward to hearing that you are all together for good very soon. Thank you for sharing in your exciting journey, we are all blessed and grateful for you to share it with all of us.

Scott & Kathy Y.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story!!! The whole experience sounds amazing. It brings a tear to your eye to hear how the day went for everyone! I am so proud of Marina for being a great friend to her new little brother! She is going to be a great big sister. I am so happy that you finally got to experience your family united as one. I am also glad that grandma and grandpa got to share in this as well.
As Charlie says, drink a toast to the "new and improved" family!

Anonymous said...

The joys and blessings that the Lord gives us are unending and so undeserved. What a wonderful and truely amazing Lord we have. He has brought the 4 of you together! Our prayers continue to be with you all.

We hope that John and Joyce will soon feel that warm body snuggled close to theirs. We anxiously await our new grandchild too!

Karen and Dallon

Anonymous said...

There are times when the benefit of modern technology is almost overwhelming -- and this is a perfect example! It's been a wonderful experience to follow the Froehlich family on this incredible journey. THANKS for keeping all of us "homebound" friends so well informed of your activities with wonderful pictures and stories. Alexander is incredibly handsome, and Marina couldn't be responding better to the new addition to her family. How very blessed you all are -- and what a beautiful family you have! Like everyone else, we will be looking forward to seeing you all in Ceresco sometime very soon! Love and hugs to one and all. Janet & Kent

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful start to my day! I've come back to the posting for today three times since I got to work this morning...probably not too productive on my part!! Anyway, I've finally gotten past the speechlessness that came with my joy and tears and decided to write a few lines.

We are so excited for all of you and can't wait to see you all again in person. This website sure makes it easier to communicate, but it makes us miss you guys even more.

The pictures of your family bring tears to my eyes as I know that my sister is completely happy.

As Marina will be able to tell you soon, us big sisters care an awful lot about our younger siblings!

I was hoping that the prayer on your bracelet would help to get you through until Alexander would join the family...now I need something to tide me over until you all get home!!!

As you know, Caitlin loves to look at pictures on the computer and so she has also been enjoying your adventure even without being able to read. This story is truly a fairy tale adventure for the whole family.

Please give our love to the whole family...especially to the newest big sister and little brother!

All our love,

Bryan, Stephanie, and Caitlin

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!!! What an absolutely amazing day!! It's great to see you all together at last! I'm really enjoying your posts. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us. Also love the photo of Alexander sleeping on Momma's shoulder! A moment long awaited I know!
God Bless!
Wendy

Anonymous said...

May the continued grace and blessing of God, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit descend upon each of you and remain with you forever and ever!

Anonymous said...

Dear family of Four,
I was so excited for this day for you. I can't imagine how it felt for you. You did a great job explaining it, I felt like I was in the room with you. I am so pleased that things are going well and that your family is bigger and stronger. And I am very happy that Marina sort of recognized a few things/people. I am sure that her main caregiver will remember that hug for years to come.
Thanks for sharing this amazing journey with us. It is something that is so special not only to you but to those who love you as well. Keep the reports coming and hug each other for me! Congrats on this special day! You all looked so happy and Alexander, like Marina looks like he was meant to be yours.
God's continued blessings to you!
Miss you!!
XOXO
Amy

Anonymous said...

WOW!!

So much has already been said about how we are all feeling and we are thousands of miles away. The emotions in that room must have been overwelming. I know that I have felt them all the way to my computer room. At least that is what I am telling myself as I wipe tears from my cheeks. I again thank God for friends like you. This is truly an experience that I don't think I will ever forget. The joy on your faces in your FIRST family photo is a sight to behold and hang onto. I think we here begin to take our family's for granted. I know that I am going to go give my children a big hug and call Gus to tell him I love him.

Thank you both for this reminder that our children are the most precious gift from God.

Your friend in Christ,

Tom (Tally Ho-had to put some levety into my blog)

Anonymous said...

This is truly wonderful! I am practicaly speechless!. You all look wonderful together in the pictures. This is emotional, even thousands of miles away!In just a short time from now you will have another blessed experience when you pick Alexander up from the orphange and take him with you to the hotel.This is so special to be able to participate in your experience.Yes,do drink a toast!

Peggy & Ed