Friday, January 15, 2010

Whew....nearly complete!

Well, here is the photographic proof that huge steps were made in getting Marina's room cleaned out!  I actually moved up my project date one day, since I didn't have anything planned for yesterday, as opposed to a busy morning today.  So, while Marina was at school, and with a little help from my TV babysitter, I got to work on getting her room all cleaned out.  And just so you know what might happen if you get back from Christmas and drop all of the new gifts into your daughters room and let her have free reign without making her organize, this is what might happen...here are the before pictures.


...the during...

...and the after! 

We got everything done except getting all of her "things" put back into her dollhouse and getting her dresser all cleaned off.  It looks SO much better!  As soon as Marina walked upstairs and figured out what was happening she feel apart.  Totally.  She was totally overwhelmed and not excited at all to have to be getting rid of her toys.  I felt horrible!  She tried so hard to stifle the tears, but they just continually ran down her sweet cheeks.  After a while, she was able to move past letting go of her toys and focus on the ones she really, really wanted to keep in her room.  She then became a machine, chanting "yes" or "no" as I would hold up a toy.  I think she would agree that her room looks and feels so much better and that there really are only so many toys she can play with.  Some of her toys will be put into the playroom in the basement, some will be stored and some will find new homes.  Alexander is now begging me to do his room since Marina's looks so good!  Silly boy! 

Have a great weekend!
Love,
Kristen

3 comments:

traciecrim said...

WOW! And now let us ALL see pictures of the playroom in the basement! The before, during and after pictures, please. hahaha.
I can remember doing that same purge in our daughter's rooms. You are right about the tears and feeling bad about it, but it has to be done periodically. Even in our own closets and "junk" drawers.

Vicki said...

Marina, your room looks like the ones in the magazines!!! I really like it! Good job with letting go. You are one so grown up now! Eric and I have to do the cleaning out thing sometimes once a year because we are moving so much. And it is good to sometimes let go of things- it makes you stronger and focus on important things...like horse back riding!!!! You can't throw away something like that- you carry the experience (and smell!!!) of it in your heart forever!!! Hugs and kisses from Texas, Vicki

Anonymous said...

Can you come to my house. My basement needs some help and I promise I won't cry.